I just finished reading Max Lucado’s wonderful book On the Anvil. One of my favorite passages is a chapter called “Putting Your Beliefs Where Your Heart Is”. Max encourages his readers to sit down for an hour and make a list of what you believe. It’s a great and fulfilling exercise – definitely worth your time. I just did it myself.
Here’s my list:
- God loves me.
- It is possible to know God. Not in a “know who he is” kind of way but in a real, loving, intimate friendship kind of way.
- Cultivating a relationship with God through spending time with him every day is the most important human pursuit.
- God’s love will carry over into the rest of my life, starting with my wife, my children, and my family.
- The God who spoke the universe into being is still speaking today.
- Heaven is home.
- Life is short. I will make the most of it by spending time with the people that I love and doing work that I love, all towards the goal of advancing God’s kingdom.
- Every moment is a gift from God. I will choose to trust and obey him every moment.
Don’t worry about trying to come up with the right answer. This is not a test. This is for you.
Max suggests carrying this list around with you all the time. The next time a situation threatens to bring you down, you will have a reminder of what’s really important to you.
Don’t just read this. Do the exercise!
If you do this exercise, I’d love to hear how it goes for you! If you don’t, I’d love to hear what it is about it that makes you not want to do it. Use the comments section below to share your thoughts…